Advances and breakthroughs in science will not be achieved alone, the mission of the Pistoia Alliance is to drive collaboration and empower organizations to work together for success. The Alliance lowers barriers to R&D innovation by providing a legal framework to enable straightforward and secure pre-competitive collaboration between more than 100 global members.
The Pistoia Alliance is a global, not-for-profit members’ organization conceived in 2007 and incorporated in 2009 by representatives of AstraZeneca, GSK, Novartis and Pfizer who met at a conference in Pistoia, Italy. This group shared the opinion that life science R&D was changing beyond recognition, and that organizations could not afford to ‘go it alone’ in order to integrate emerging technologies and continue to deliver life-changing therapies to patients. The Pistoia Alliance’s projects help to overcome common obstacles to innovation and to transform R&D – whether identifying the root causes of inefficiencies, working with regulators to adopt new standards, or helping researchers implement AI effectively. There are currently more than 100 member companies – ranging from global organisations, to medium enterprises, to start-ups, to individuals – collaborating as equals on projects that generate value for the worldwide life sciences community.
Industry Value Creation
“We create value for our members and the industry through our collaborative projects, communities, and learning and networking events.”
- Projects are our “engine” to engage our members and facilitate change in life science research and development.
- Communities bring together industry experts to develop best practices and initiate new ideas.
- Thought leadership across the R&D value chain drives innovation in life sciences.
“Diverse perspectives and contributions to deliver better outcomes for all.”
- We enable member organizations to identify opportunities and collaborate on challenges where diverse perspectives and contributions will improve solutions.
- We are inclusive in how we connect people and ideas.
- Every staff member, board member, and member company contributor will be respected, included, and valued for their contributions.
“The power of our membership provides the engine for collaborative innovation in life sciences R&D.”
- We encourage our members to seek opportunities to innovate, streamline, and create new ways of operating.
- We lead by identifying trends that will require collaboration across organizations to provide the most relevant solutions.
Becky Upton, PhD
Errol Sandler, PhD
Steve Hollinshead, CFA
Sergio Rotstein, Pfizer Digital
Matthew Clark, Charles River Labs
Jane Lomax, SciBite/Elsevier
Mike Tarselli, TetraScience
Christopher Waller, EPAM Systems
J Christian Baber, Janssen/JNJ
Zena Sfeir, GNS Healthcare
Lars Greiffenberg, AbbVie
Our Alumni include:
- Bryn Roberts (Switzerland, Global Head of Operations for pRED at Roche)
- Chris McKenna (USA, Global Head of Professional Services & Consulting, Clarivate Analytics)
- Kevin Dean (UK, Cisco Europe and now Government Advisor HC)
- Paul Fitzpatrick (UK/USA, ex VP AZ, HLInc advisor, CRUK Manchester Institute)
- Richard Soll (USA, Senior Vice President, Research Service Division, WuXi AppTec)
- Tim Hoctor (USA, Vice President of Professional Services, Elsevier (Retired))
- Alan Lewis (USA, Board Director at Assembly Biosciences Inc., President and CEO at Diavacs, Chairman of the Board at Batu Biologics, La Jolla)
- Carl Peck (ex Center Director CDER, FDA and now Chairman, NDA Partners)
- Mike Farrar (UK, Head of NHS Trusts and now independent advisor, HC)
- Tim Irish (UK, NICE, NED)
Our current consultants are:
- Anca Ciobanu, MBA
- Birthe Nielsen
- Catherine Maskell
- Daniel Webster
- David Prior
- Dalila Nafi
- Dr. Birthe Nielsen, Alruna Consulting Ltd.
- Gabrielle Whittick, GMW Consulting.
- Gerhard Noelken, Data4Lab Ltd.
- Dr. Giovanni Nasato
- Dr. Hideyoshi Fuji
- Dr. John Wise, Pharma Logistics Ltd.
- Grant Dench
- Marc Rubenfield
- Melanie Hardcastle
- Miffy Wilson
- Tanya Randall, 20/20 Communications
- Thierry Escudier
- Dr. Veronique Francois-Newton
- Vladimir Makarov, Vladimir A. Makarov Consulting
- Victor Navas
- Zahid Tharia, Open Pharma Ltd
Our Certificates, Policies, By-Laws, Membership Form, IRS 990 can all be found here.
At the Pistoia Alliance we believe in transparency and accountability. When it comes to decision-making processes, documentation, and project output, we share as much as we can via the channels below. Members can gain access to members-only resources upon request.