Lowering Barriers to R&D Innovation
We are a global, not-for-profit alliance of life science companies, vendors, publishers, and academic groups that work together to lower barriers to innovation in R&D.
Our projects transform R&D innovation through pre-competitive collaboration. We bring together the key constituents to identify the root causes that lead to R&D inefficiencies. We develop best practices and technology pilots to overcome common obstacles.
Our members collaborate as equals on open projects that generate significant value for the worldwide life sciences community.
Join the Pistoia Alliance today
The Pistoia Alliance is a group of life sciences industry experts. We use pre-competitive collaboration to address issues around aggregating, accessing, and sharing data that are essential to innovation, but provide little competitive advantage. We have a strong track record in delivering value from our projects, providing our membership with perspective on current problems, and being a source of impartial opinion. We were established in 2009 by representatives of AstraZeneca, GSK, Novartis and Pfizer who met at a conference in Pistoia, Italy.
Innovation in Action
By pooling resources from a number of companies we increase the efficiency of innovation. The projects that we deliver generate significant value and attain global adoption. We ensure our projects are as effective and valuable as possible by developing proven technological solutions that build on our high levels of knowledge and insight, and our ability to access the best researchers and scientists in the life sciences industry. We are a community of experts, and we openly publish our work for the benefit of the worldwide research community.
Access our published resources
The Officers of the Pistoia Alliance work with volunteers and paid consultants to enact the strategy envisioned by the Pistoia Alliance Board of Directors. Our current Officers are:
The Pistoia Alliance is advised by a panel of independent experts. Our current advisory board members are:
- Alan Lewis (Board Director at Assembly Biosciences Inc., Board member at BıoMarın, President and CEO at Diavacs, Chairman of the Board at Batu Biologics, La Jolla, USA)
- Bill Burns (Switzerland; Shire; Mesoblast; Vestergaard; Wellcome Trust; Institute of Cancer Research)
- Bryn Roberts (Switzerland, Roche)
- Carl Peck (USA, FDA and now NDAPartners)
- David Feigel (USA, Amgen, UCSF and now NDA Partners)
- Kevin Dean (UK, Cisco Europe, now Chair AMRA, Digital Health consultant & Adjunct Professor, Maersk Institute, Denmark)
- Mike Farrar (UK, Head of NHS Trusts and now independent advisor, HC)
- Paul Fitzpatrick (UK/USA, HLInc Consultant)
- Shobie Ramakrishnan (USA, Genentech/AstraZeneca )
- Tim Irish (UK, NICE, NED)
- James P Sullivan (USA VP Discovery AbbVie)
- Steve Wooding (UK/USA, Head Global Commercial and Market Access Strategy, Janssen)
Our current consultants are:
- Claire Bellamy, Perdiem Ltd.
- Ian Harrow, Ian Harrow Consulting Ltd.
- Richard Holland, New Forest Ventures Ltd.
- Nick Lynch, Curlew Research Ltd.
- Carmen Nitsche, CINforma Consulting
- David Proudlock, Previse Consulting
- Gabrielle Whittick, GMW Consulting
- John Wise, Pharma Logistics Ltd.
- Mary Beth Walsh, Kalleid Inc.
- Gerhard Noelken, Data4Lab Ltd.
- Paula de Matos, de Matos UX Consulting Ltd.
- Richard Norman
Board of Directors
The Pistoia Board of Directors sets the overall strategic aims for the Alliance and includes representatives from Alliance member organizations. Current board members include:
* AstraZeneca UK Limited
* Bayer Pharma AG
* Binocular Vision Advisors LLC
* Boehringer Ingelheim International GmBH
* Bristol-Myers Squibb
* ChemAxon Ltd
* Clarivate Analytics, formerly the IP&S business of Thomson Reuters
* Context Matters
* Copyright Clearance Center
* Dassault Systemes BIOVIA
* Databiology Ltd
* Dotmatics Limited
* Eagle Genomics Ltd.
* Elsevier Inc.
* F. Hoffmann-La Roche LTD (Roche)
* Glaxo Group Ltd.
* Instem LSS Ltd
* Ionis Pharmaceuticals Inc. (were ISIS)
* IPQ Analytics LLC
* KNIME.com AG
* KWS SAAT SE
* Linguamatics Ltd
* Merck & Co
* Merck KGaA
* Monocl Software
* Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Inc.
* Novaseek Research
* Odysseus Data Services Inc
* Osthus GmbH
* Pfizer, Inc.
* Pine Biotech
* Promeditec srl
* Pryv SA
* quattro research GmbH
* Scitegrity Limited
* Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd (as subsidiary Millennium Pharma Inc.)
* The Hyve
* Agrimetrics Ltd
* Alex M Clark
* Andy Zaayenga
* CCDC (Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre)
* Chris Barber
* Christophe Jamain
* Daniel Taylor
* Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC)
* Gaia Paolini
* Ian Harrow
* IMGT®( ImMunoGeneTics)
* Inchi Trust
* Jan Holst Jenson
* Jaroslaw Tomczak
* John G. Sgouros
* Leah McEwen
* Lhasa Limited
* Louis Fisher
* Mike Furness
* Nick Trigg
* Nicola Fantini
* Paul Willer
* Peter Boogaard
* Peter Fields
* Philip Quinlan
* QFAB Bioinformatics
* Rachel Belani Baker
* Ricardo Grinberg-Funes
* Richard Hather
* Richard Lewin Wife
* Robert E. Schwartz
* Royal Society of Chemistry
* Rudy Potenzone
* SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
* Stuart Chalk
* Stuart Dollow
* Terry Stouch
* Tetsuo Shimamoto
* UCL- Peter Coveney Group
* University of Reading
* Wolfram Teetz
* Yannick Djoumbou Feunang